header

header

12.21.2009

Hand Made Christmas Ornaments - Tutorial Tuesday

My absolute favorite ornament submitted for my Hand Made Ornament Linky Party was the Paper Ball using wrapping paper scraps, submitted by Tina's Place!



I followed some links and discovered the original tutorial from Everyday Chaos using recycled book pages and I was in love! I gathered up my supplies and sat down right that minute to make one. It took one episode of Ellen and about $1.25 and I was done...want to learn?

Recycled Book Page Christmas Ornament

Supplies:

An old book (I used a cheap-o dollar store book I bought for projects like this)
Ruler
Ink pad
Hot glue gun
Old ornament
Pencil


Begin by preparing your book. Rip out the pages, then begin ripping 1 1/2 inch strips then 1 1/2 inch squares. I used the edge of the ruler to tear straight lines. I wanted a rough edge, but you could also cut these squares with scissors.



You will need MANY squares. Many more than this.



Now, rub the edges of the squares over the ink pad to age and distress them...you know I hate bright white!



See?



Here are the balls I used, gaudy glittery balls that came 5 to a tube at the dollar store:



Using your pencil, form the square of paper over the end of the pencil, like this:



Place a dot of hot glue onto the end of the paper "cup" like this:



And, stick it to the ball like this!



Repeat about a thousand times until the entire ball is covered:



Once you cover the entire surface, embellish it the way you'd like. I cut out a star from the front of a glittery Christmas card and attached a Merry Christmas banner like the original tutorial.



You could decorate yours in all sorts of creative ways!



It's so easy a child could do it...or two children could do it while arguing over the hot glue gun. Whatever.



Here is a round up of some of the other ideas you shared at the Christmas Ornament Linky Party last week!

Borax Snowflakes by Domestically Speaking:

Snowman Balls by Joy Beadworks:

And a last minute Glass Ball Ornament using rub-ons from Fingerprints on the Fridge:


DIY Day @ ASPTL


.

27 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! I need a hot glue skillet for this project. I think I'll do it tomorrow! :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh! i love it. i always have paper scraps from my computer & feel guilty about it. but you made something very beautiful from it!

    merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these! Must put them on next year's to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops!!! Sorry I missed the Linky party!! Looks like it was fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - I love!!! Thanks for sharing! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...really cute. Who buys junky books at the dollare store "for just such an occasion", no wonder you are down $20 everytime you go in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that!!

    I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of these and can't wait to try making them. They're just awesome and I have a huge stack of old book paper to use on them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the way they turned out! The recycled book page ornament looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very VERY cool. You should gather such great ideas from/for your readers every year...
    Yes, I believe you should.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the linky love!! :o) so glad you tried it! looove that the kids got in on it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, do I love this idea! Thanks for sharing. I will definitely be bookmarking this for future use.

    Merry Christmas!
    XO*Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg that's so awesome and easy! I think I will need to make some just for the heck of it XD thanks for the great pictures and tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow... These are fun and creative! Way to go girl!!
    ~Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool!! I totally remember doing this with tissue paper for a school project in elementary school. Love the idea of doing it with pages from a book! Yours turned out great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so cool. I love it. Wishing you and your family a blessed holiday and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. really cute. I'm putting it on my list for next year. (can't believe I'm already making lists for next year!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are very cute. I featured these at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that reusing something can be this beautiful. Thanks for sharing. MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that paper ornament that you made! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice post. thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work