header

header

10.11.2010

Building a Garden - The Conclusion

Okay, let's finish up this garden! We have all the components for our garden, let's assemble it.

Line the inside bottom of your main garden box with weed blocking fabric, stapling it to the inside edges:



Place each raised bed frame into place and let your kids inspect the arrangement:



Check for level, you don't want all your precious rain water running right off next spring before it can reach the roots of your plants. You can use little "shims" from the home improvement store to level up the corners of your individual raised beds.



This part is fun for the kiddos - fill the walkways between the raised beds with pea gravel. This is easily found at your local home improvement store. I used about 6 bags. The kids love using rakes and trowels and hands to smooth it all into place.



This pea gravel gives you a well draining walkway that discourages weeds AND it's so pretty!



Now, fill your interior boxes with soil and you're good to go!

For good measure: I mixed in one bag of manure compost to the soil in each raised bed.



Pretty as a picture.



If a fence is necessary in your location, I can show you how we build ours next week. Now, get to work! You're in the home stretch!

.

11 comments:

  1. it's crazy how so many people are just starting a garden. We have already had a frost and gardening season is long gone! Enjoy some fresh goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great way to do a garden! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did our herb garden this way. Nice shots and tutorial.

    Darryl and Ruth : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. So impressive! I'd love to do this. Happy Monday! = )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you separated everything, but how will it take root with the weed barrier?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is enough soil in the boxes to sustain your veggies' roots, but the barrier keeps extraneous weeds from your yard from growing up from the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am so jealous! I really want to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kinda makes me want to start over:) Maybe in a few years...what I have works for now...your's just looks so pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent! I have a large raised bed like this, and it is tooooo large. You can't reach across to weed it or get to the plants in the middle. So I've been trying to figure out what to do. This may be the trick! I could make a couple of smaller ones to put inside, with a gravel walking path in the middle. I've had the idea in my head, but couldn't quite work out how to make the smaller beds until now. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, I am thoroughly freaking impressed. Do you rent out for yard and house projects?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work