header

header

10.14.2010

Let's Make Stuffed Peppers!


The Big Guy spends his days in a fancy restaurant, so when he comes home he's all about comfort food! Lucky for me, that's right up my alley.

We were overwhelmed with peppers from our garden this year, so I decided to make a bunch to freeze for this winter. This recipe, from Cook's Illustrated, was a bit different from my usual recipe, but very good.

Classic Stuffed Peppers
Cook's Illustrated


4 medium bell peppers (about 6 oz. each) 1/2 inch trimmed off tops, cores and seeds discarded

1/2 cup long grain white rice

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium onions, chopped fine ( about 1/2 cup)

12 ounces ground beef, preferably ground chuck

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained, 1/4 cup juice reserved

1 1/4 cups monterey jack cheese ( about 5 oz)

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

black pepper

1/4 cup ketchup

Directions

1. Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over high heat.

2. Add 1 tablespoon salt and bell peppers.

3. Cook until peppers just begin to soften, about 3 minutes.

4. Using slotted spoon, remove peppers from pot, drain off excess water and place peppers cut side up on paper towels.

5. Return water to boil; add rice and boil until tender, about 13 minutes.

6. Drain rice and transfer to large bowl; set aside.

7. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°F.

Meanwhile, heat 12 inch heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat until hot, about 1 1/2 minutes; add oil and swirl to coat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes
  1. Add ground beef and cook, breaking beef into small pieces with spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
  2. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.
  3. Transfer mixture to bowl with rice; stir in tomatoes, 1 cup cheese, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Stir together ketchup and reserved tomato juice in small bowl.
  5. Place peppers cut side up in 9 inch square baking dish.
  6. Using soup spoon, divide filling evenly among peppers.
  7. Spoon 2 tablespoons ketchup mixture over each filled pepper and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of remaining cheese.
  8. Bake until cheese is browned and filling is heated through, 25 to 30 minutes.
  9. Serve immediately.
We loved this cheesy recipe! I did add extra large can of tomato sauce to the pan to fill up the cracks between the peppers while it was baking because the Big Guy likes tomato "gravy" for his mashed potatoes and I like a nice, soft pepper.

***A great bloggy friend, Tricia, has a great story on her blog today about a brave serviceman battling cancer. He is celebrating a birthday today! CLICK HERE to learn a little about Will!

11 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I love me some stuffed peppers ~ the kids not so much, but really it is about me right? :) This recipe is a bit different from my typical one as well ~ have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm that sounds something my family would like. I haven't really tried stuff peppers with tomato sauce or cheese on it... sounds like an interesting recipe to try =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the SAME recipe I use and my family loves them!
    Thanks for reminding me to make these again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Stuffed green peppers are a perfect fall/winter meal. I think I need to add that to my menu for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look delicious! It's a shame I'm the only one that appreciate a green pepper around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, my mouth is WATERING after reading that recipe. Now I'll be forced (by myself) to make that this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I just shorted out my keyboard from all the drool. ;) ;) You have some of the best recipes!

    I'm hosting a little Giveaway from McKenna Layne Designs today...holiday invites, cards, chocolate wrappers, etc. Hope you might swing by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love stuffed peppers..I just put up some for the winter also. I'm Lebanese and we have a dish called Koosa. It is stuffed zucchini and it's prepared pretty much the same way..minus the cheese. Serve over white rice and it is fabulous!

    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jen.
    Thank you so much for linking to Will's birthday celebration!

    Oh, and I am sooooo making those peppers sometime this week. Yummy!

    xo*t

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never tried making stuffed peppers. I think it really takes lots of time. But thanks anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are the best looking stuffed peppers I've seen in a long time!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work